Vegetarian Lentil Sloppy Joes
Yeilds 5 Servings
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 small zucchini, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 cup "no salt added" tomato sauce (i used Francesco Rinaldi brand)
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
red pepper flakes
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook lentils about 20-25 minutes (until tender).
2. Mean while, in a large skillet cook onions, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic until tender.
3. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and worcestershire sauce it vegetable mixture.
4. Season to taste with the above listed seasonings.
5. Let vegetable and tomato sauce mixture simmer on low heat until lentils are done. If mixture looks too think add in some of the lentil cooking water. (I used about 3-4 tablespoons).
6. Drain the lentils and add them to the vegetable mixture. Cook for a few more minutes for the flavors to combine and ENJOY!!
Makes 5 Servings
Serving size = 1/2 cup
109mg of Potassium
112mg of Sodium