Thursday, April 21, 2011

Zucchini & Potato Hashbrowns

ZUCCHINI & POTATO HASH-BROWNS
YIELDS 6



I made this recipe for breakfast one morning because I had a random zucchini in my refrigerator and I wanted to find something to do with it. So why not make hash-browns!? Stroke of genius, I'm tellin' ya.

INGREDIENTS:

1 russet potato
1 small zucchini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 cup onion, diced
pepper
salt (optional, I don't cook with salt)

PROCEDURE:
1. Grate the potato and zucchini on the largest holes on your box grater.
2. Put them into a clean towel and strain out as much liquid as you can. You will be surprised how much liquid comes out.
3. Put the grated veggies into a mixing bowl and add the egg whites, garlic, onion and pepper and mix to combine.
4. Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
5. Measure out a 1/4 of a cup of the mixture and put it into your skillet and squish it down to make it somewhat flat. I could fit two at a time in the skillet I used.
6. Have your oven pre-heated at a low temperature so when your first batch of hash-browns are done, you can put them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to keep them warm!
7. Fry up the rest of you hash-browns and enjoy! I served mine with a side of eggs and fruit!

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
for one hash-brown
30 calories
6g carbs
0g fat
192mg potassium
1g fiber
19g sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment