Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Product Review

Healthy Valley Organic No Salt Added Tomato Soup



While i was wondering around in the health food section of my grocery store the other day I stumbled upon the canned soup section. I never really pay much attention to the canned soups due to the high levels of sodium they usually contain, however a particular row of cans caught my eye.
NO SALT ADDED! Could it be true!?

YES! :)

I immediately picked it up and began scanning the nutrition label...

Serving Size: 1 Cup
Serving per Container: About 2
Calories: 100
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Sat Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholest: 5 mg
Sodium: 60 mg
Total Carb: 19 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 13 g
Protein: 1 g

Only 60mg of sodium per serving? I picked up another can, and another, and sure enough each can ranged between 60 to 80mg of sodium per serving! I bought the tomato, the black bean and the minestrone soups and was eager to try them.
So far I have tried only the Tomato Soup (which I had for lunch today).

My Verdict:
Very good actually. I will buy it again.
Don't expect it to taste like other tomato soups out of a can (like Campbell's) though. To me it tasted much more Tomato-ey if you know what I mean. It has a much more assertive tomato flavor, that is much more natural (as well as slightly more acidic) than other versions you grew up loving from your childhood. It was also slightly sweet which was very enjoyable, and I also didn't notice the lack of added salt. It's also thinner than other tomato soups because it is ready to serve out of the can, so you don't have to add milk (or water) to it like the Campbell's tomato soup.
I would recommend this product to anyone interested in limiting there sodium intake, or for a healthier, organic option to other canned soups.

I am looking forward to trying the Black Bean, and Minestrone soups next.

No comments:

Post a Comment