Monday, May 9, 2011

Smoothies 101

I love smoothies.
I eat them all the time. I like to have them for breakfast, or lunch, or especially after i work out. They are full of protein, fiber and carbs to help you get through the day!

I am going to give you the "Smoothie Blueprint" that I use. It is an awesome recipe because it can be switched up a million different ways.

FRUIT AND YOGURT SMOOTHIE BLUE PRINT
1 cup frozen fruit
1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup light soy milk

1 packet of artificial sweetener

no seriously... that is it.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and BUZZ! and enjoy!

What makes this a "blue print" is that you can use whatever fruit you want (strawberries, mango, banana, peaches, ect.), whatever kind of milk (soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk) and whatever sweetener you prefer (i use Truvia). The only thing i don't recommend that you change is the Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is so much thicker than regular yogurt, and is higher in protein. You want a yogurt that will stand up in your smoothie to make it nice a thick.

You can either buy frozen fruit in your grocers freezer section, or buy fresh fruit, measure it out into 1 cup containers and freeze them. I do it both ways. I have a bag of Frozen Mixed Berries, and Frozen Peach slices I bought, but i also have several containers of 1 cup servings of mangos, blue berries and strawberries.

My favorite Smoothie Flavors are:
Mixed Berries (Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries)
Peaches

Mango
Mango & Banana (1/2 cup of each)
Strawberry

Blue Berry

I also add into the blender a tablespoon of Organic Cold Mild Flax Seed. It is a great source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids and adds extra fiber.

Now go on and make yourself your own smoothie! it's a great and healthy meal replacement, or a fast snack the keep you going through the day!!

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment